What to choose for your ecommerce store – Shopify or Magento
With an ocean of ecommerce platforms available to choose from, it’s a daunting task to pick up the right one. It’s important to analyze your business requirements, priorities, scale of operations and various other elements and accordingly go for the best fit. And two of the most popular CMS platforms are Shopify and Magento.
Before you read about both the platforms, decide upon things like-
- What is your priority: getting started fast for now with the existing platform amenities or would you want a long term scalable platform keeping in mind your growth and expansion?
- Do you have a lot of products to sell online or just a few to begin with?
- How will you manage your online store? Do you have a dedicated team for it or will need someone?
- Are you selling only within your vicinity or outside the country too? Is the inventory in different locations appropriate?
Once you are clear about all these aspects of your business, the next step would be to go through the features and scale of both the platforms and select the most suitable one.
About Shopify and Shopify Plus
Shopify is an easy and has a simple to work with interface. It helps the user for his regular chores like updating pictures, editing content, taking care of the categories etc. If a small to mid-size business, this easy to use Shopify platform would come handy.
For brands with a little higher sales volumes Shopify has a version upper called Shopify Plus for advanced operations.
Shopify vs Shopify Plus
Some of the key differences between Shopify and Shopify Plus are-
- There’s a monthly transaction fee to be paid in Shopify unlike Shopify Plus.
- A Shopify Plus user is facilitated with a defined account manager handling all your requirements which is not the case in a simple Shopify plan.
Take your customer to your own branded domain when he checks out with Shopify Plus. Shopify will move the customer to its own domain when he is checking out.
About Magento – Community and Enterprise Edition
Magento platform is usually a bit complex –maybe because it’s meant for much larger clients with large volume of products and sale. It’s still very flexible and used by a good proportion of huge brands of the industry. Magento has two versions – The Community Edition and the Enterprise Edition
Some of the many differences between the Magento Community and Enterprise Edition are:
- The community edition is free of cost whereas the enterprise version comes with a fee.
- Being free, the community edition does not provide the user with any kind of technical or manual assistance. And in case of enterprise version, you can leave it all on the platform.
Main differences between Shopify and Magento platforms
Magento has various integrated languages like German, Spanish, Russian and French. Shopify doesn’t have this feature, but Shopify Plus does.
Shopify has a very user-friendly inventory system design. A user can upload an excel sheet to add new products or just add them directly. Customization is possible in the Shopify Plus edition.
Magento helps the user with his inventory management sorting it by store location and product variations with respect to their sizes, colors other criteria.
Through Shopify, you can sell on widespread sales channels, but it doesn’t allow on all platforms as only the popular ones are integrated by default.
However, Magento lets the user to sell on any channel of their choice.
Plugins, Extensions and Integrations
Magento has more plugins and extensions compared to Shopify platform. With its active community of users, through meet-ups and events, all Magento users can network with each other and discuss the on-going trends, issues, suggestions for the platform.
Both the platforms offer their pros and cons. If you are a small business with 30-40 products to sell online and looking for an easy system, Shopify is the one for you. For businesses which are growing rapidly along with the already established ones with large operations and management requirement, Magento is your answer.